******* ATTENTION PLEASE *******
I moved my blog to www.lilmejo.com

See you See ME there kay.. ^^

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Sio Bak Chang~~

Oiyoyo… so many things so little time. Oh well since today is celebration of dumpling festival might as well blog a little about it since something very touching happened.

Dumpling, Bak Chang or Zong, or zongzi is a traditional Chinese food, made of glutinous rice stuffed with different fillings and wrapped in bamboo leaves. I tried Wikipedia Bak Chang and I’m surprised that they even have info on them.

“Zongzi is traditionally eaten during the Dragon Boat Festival (Mandarin: Duanwu; Cantonese: Tuen Ng) which falls on the fifth day of the fifth month of the Chinese calendar (approximately early- to mid-June), commemorating the death of Qu Yuan, a famous Chinese poet from the kingdom of Chu who lived during the Warring States period. Known for his patriotism, Qu Yuan tried unsuccessfully to warn his king and countrymen against the expansionism of their Qin neighbors. When the Qin Dynasty general Bai Qi took Yingdu, the Chu capital, in 278 BC, Qu Yuan's grief was so intense that he drowned himself in the Miluo river after penning the Lament for Ying. According to legend, packets of rice were thrown into the river to prevent fish from eating the poet's body.[1] Another version states that zongzi were given to placate a dragon that lived in the river”, courtesy of Wikipedia.

Normally every year during this time I don’t get to consume more than a quarter of a dumpling, not because of I don’t want to but I can’t consume glutinous stuff and other hard to digest food. If I did, up it goes. Thought this year going to be no different than any other years but I’m shocked when B brought me dumpling that his mom make. It is made of brown rice instead of glutinous and prawns free (I’m seafood allergic) too. I’m so touched, his mom make it for me just right. Never knew that there can be a Chang that can be catered just the way I can consume it. Already lucky enough to have BB and now his mummy too.. oish… this is too overwhelming.. AMEN!! ^^



Photobucket


Happy Dumpling Festival!!
Enjoy…




P.S. Alright got to go for my prize giving ceremony for cosplay competition. Will blog about it soon.

No comments: